31 years old, married six years this summer, father of 1 and one on the way, and I'm a PC. (note "I am a PC" as I am not usually very P.C.)

Monday, March 3, 2008

Research project

I need a favor from anyone that reads this blog and is an at home parent. Drop me an email if you'd like to help me figure some stuff out about it.

For those of you that don't have kids, or aren't the at home parent.....I offer you the following:

I get up everyday in very much the same way, eyes pried open and head peeled off the pillow in a 10 minute battle of will. My wife always wins and I get up. I see her off as I refill my coffee cup. I spend the next 3 ish hours making conversation with what amounts to myself as Tyler knows too few words to keep the conversation going past the first few seconds. I have been experiencing a few new "fun games" lately. He asks for a kiss then steals my glasses right off my face. We play trucks till I can't see straight and then we have a snack, usually fruit and cheese. While the dogs clean up the mess, we try to learn how to put toys in the toy box. Then it's time to read. It is a good way to wind down toward nap time. I have come to the conclusion, in the past year, that the "hard work" that people talk about (referring to raising kids) is in reference to the ability to keep up the enthusiasm when reading "The Foot Book" by Dr. Seuss 10 times in a row. Nap. And by nap I mean prep dinner, do the dishes, pick up the toys that can't seem to keep themselves in their box, feed the dogs, feed myself, get lunch ready (for the boy), shower or do laundry or run outside with the dogs. Naps over... Time for my favorite daily activity. Barely awake Tyler always says "Yeah" when asked if he had a good nap. Then he says "I wannn dat" as he lazily points to our bed. I put him on the Queen sized bed, which must seem as though it's an island of puffy comfort to the little guy. He rolls around and stretches and asks me to name everything he points at. When he is ready to get up he points at the door and says "woof woof", time to go see the girls. After a very excitable one sided reunion he throws half his lunch around the dining room while he eats the other half. When we get cleaned up from that it's back to playing on the floor and talking to myself till it's time to cook dinner.

I know reading that sounds unfun, maybe even boring but I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. Maybe just that one day when Tyler took a shot at ensuring his status as only child, with a rolling pin.

No comments: