31 years old, married six years this summer, father of 1 and one on the way, and I'm a PC. (note "I am a PC" as I am not usually very P.C.)

Friday, October 2, 2009

I'd have been a philosopher

In a conversation quite a while ago I was told that the only true motivation is self motivation. While I agree with the thought that you can't make someone be motivated, I think the person that passed this information on to me missed the point of the author of that quote. While it is true that only ones self can motivate one to accomplish a goal, there are motivating factors that cause that to happen. In using these motivating factors one can give someone else the tools to motivate themselves to do something. So rather than give up trying to get people motivated because, taken as it is written that is what one might do, use the statement as a starting point to draw your own conclusions and theories. I think that what the author of this particular statement meant was poorly worded and it failed in directing readers toward the truth, which is there is no such thing as selfless motivation. This seems to be the truth to me, but sometimes the truth escapes those who choose not to see it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

logically