31 years old, married six years this summer, father of 1 and one on the way, and I'm a PC. (note "I am a PC" as I am not usually very P.C.)

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Facebook and the faceybookiness of it

Facebook. As legend has it, it's legendary ability to assist in e-social networking is the stuffs that legends are made of. And that my friends is just what I have found to be true.

Recently I broke my ban on Facebook and signed up for an account. I was talked into it when someone whom I know very well informed me that a friend had written about how they had recently been introduced to MarioKart on the wii. As I have also found myself addicted to the MarioKart, I needed to sign up for Facebook to look for other acquaintences with similar racing issues.

Day One: Sign up for Facebook, request my wife as a friend.
Day Two: Get bombarded with email (30ish) regarding friend request things
Get annoyed that my email was getting junked up
Day Three: Spent 2 minutes trying to find people that I know who play MarioKart
Tried to start a "Group" for MarioKart but found that there isn't a way
to restrict EVERYONE in the Facebook "community" from joining
Left a message for someone that I haven't talked to in five years.

I still haven't found anyone from my previous non e-life that plays MarioKart. There is not a way to search by geographic location or by interests. All I have found is that it automatically cross refrences your "friends" list with those of your e-friend's friends lists to "connect" you to other people you might find interesting. To sum up that "neat-o" function..... useless. Facebook first impression you ask? It is like the childhood game telephone. You know where you whisper in the ear of the person next to you and it goes down the line and the last person says something histerically funny that is not what the original person said. Yeah like that. So far it is useless, and if I tell a non-Facebook user that it is useless and they tell someone else, by the time it gets to the last person not on Facebook they say "IT'S SO AWESOME!"

We will see in the coming weeks if I find any use for an e-life, or time for it as being a parent of a little kid (turns 2 today) leaves little time for computing (aka wasting time on Facebook)

4 comments:

Josh said...

Sucka!

~Jaime~ said...

Tuan! Found you through Josh's post today so I figured I'd see what you were up to! I really enjoyed reading your blog!

I just figured I'd say hi so when you saw some random person from Gray read your entire blog you wouldn't be weirded out. Or maybe you are.

Anyway, say hi to Rae for me. Oh - and I love mariokart. When we get the wii set up in the new house (closing in two weeks) I will absolutely let you know!

Take care!
Jaime

Anonymous said...

Hi Very funny post...

Anonymous said...

Hi A very nice niche blog, and a good design there sparks Simplicity yet complex algorithm of the internet. Thank You.